Friday, August 6, 2010

Letter to my daughter


My dearest Alexandra,

I cannot believe you are 5 years old today.  These 5 years have been the best time of my life.

From the moment I laid eyes on you, you were my little angel. 

You were in the level 2 nursery because you came about 3 weeks early.  It was there that we discovered you had a hearing loss, thanks to the newborn hearing screening. 

After many appointments with audiologists, you were fitted with hearing aids by 5 months old.  We found your school - Northern Voices on a whim and you've been there ever since.  Sure, it would be more convenient to just shuttle you off to daycare every day - but we think you deserve the best and they sure fit the bill. 

In February of 2009, you had surgery for your cochlear implant.  What a miracle those things are!  Your language and listening skills have exploded. You have been talking our ears off for about 4 years now.  Not too shabby for a deaf kid.  I suppose your hearing aid and cochlear implant help too.

I hope you always reach for the stars.  Maybe one day you will become an ear doctor like you say you want to be.  I have no doubts that you will do exactly what you want to do, on your own terms.  Always advocate for yourself, kiddo. 

You are such a beautiful, smart, spunky, spectacular kid.

I love you to the moon and back.  Always and forever.

Mom

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet letter Anna! She is a special little girl, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Anna! That is such a beautiful letter. I hope you print out a copy for a her baby book or for the future. She will cherish it some day!

    ReplyDelete

Say something!