Wednesday, January 14, 2009

News about Ally

I just realized that I never posted about Ally's upcoming surgery. As most of you know, she was born with a hearing loss and has worn hearing aids since she was 4 months old. Of course, she has been monitored by audiologists since that time and the hearing in her left ear has gotten progressively worse. She is now a candidate for a cochlear implant. I can really tell that her hearing has gotten worse. When we're in the car, she makes us turn around to talk to her (so she can read our lips). When the light is off, she makes us turn it on so she can read our lips. She really looks at your face when you talk to her. We are very excited for her, but nervous at the same time. It's major surgery and just nerve racking for any parent to go through. Her surgery is scheduled for Monday, February 9th at 7:30 AM. Her surgeon is Dr. Frank Rimell at the U of M. He has done over 250 implant surgeries, and all on children. We have the utmost confidence in his abilities. When we talk to Ally about her implant, she gets really excited. Most of her friends at school have them, so she isn't a stranger to them at all. She is most excited that it'll be pink! If you're not familiar with the cochlear implant, you can check it out here: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/cochlear-implants-topic-overview. She will most likely just be in the hospital for one night (if that). I have taken a week off of work to help her recover. I know she will be a trooper through the whole thing, she always is. She is my hero.

8 comments:

  1. We are rooting for you Ally. As a parent I know what it is like to have a child go through surgeries. I am just glad that Ryan hasn't had to have anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post Anna. Let us know how it goes. My thoughts are with all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be thinking of Miss Ally in February! That's so cute that she's excited over the fact that the implant is pink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So here's a weird scenario. This morning, while waiting to visit Jazmin's ENT-Dr Landers. Sitting in the waiting room, I heard the receptionist making "don't forget your appointment" calls. She made one and said..."Just calling to remind you of Alexandra's appointment....." I thought of Ally right away, seeing as she's the only Alexandra I know. I bet that was your reminder call, maybe not. Kinda weird if is was though! Especially since I had no clue about Ally's surgery until just now when I checked your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the good thoughts, guys!

    Abby, that wasn't a call for Ally -but that would've been really weird if it were. She had been going to Allina Clinic in Coon Rapids, but now her care will solely be at the U of M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to mention that Dr Landers and Dr Rimmel share an office down by Minneapolis Children's Hospital. That's why I thought it was so weird.... oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, well maybe it was then! I don't know. Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anna-
    I'll be praying for your little girl's surgery. My little girl is getting tubes on Feb. 5th...but nothing like your daughter's implant...how exciting! It literally "sounds" like it will make a world of difference for her!
    God bless, The Grants'

    ReplyDelete

Say something!